Monday, February 2, 2009

The Fantastical Challenge

I have no cool button for this challenge, because I have not added the Adobe software to my laptop yet. Maybe I can make one when Corey is at home and I can use his computer. However, I think it is about time for a new challenge, and I apologize for abandoning the cause for a while. My laptop died and could not be resurrected. At last, I have a new laptop. Della is a real beauty and she and I are getting along swimmingly, except for all the bugs still to be worked out with Vista.

I was thinking, this morning, of the kinds of books Natalie liked to read, and I remember her love for Narnia. I decided a Narnia challenge was out though. Most of us have already read it it, many more times than they can count. So, I thought, why not a fantasy fiction challenge. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. Natalie often read to escape. A book can take us out of our lives and into the world of imagination.

2. Fantasy books are popular for a reason. They take us to a world beyond the one we live in. They speak loudly of the human soul's longing for a different place (Eden, where we were created to dwell, Heaven where we shall find ourselves one day). Natalie has managed to escape one final time into a world that is beyond our wildest imaginings.

This challenge is for Feb and March. Read a fantasy book. Or 2. Or 3. Read to yourself or to your kids. Choose adult fantasy or young adult fantasy. Heck, go to the library and read a million children's books. Just go somewhere new and fabulous and be sure to tell us all about the journey.

Email me or leave a comment if you want me to link your blog in the sidebar. I can't wait to get started.

Heather

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm reading Inkspell right now - perfect! :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing better then a good fantasy to drag you out of the real world for a while. I'll have to read Narnia again myself. It's been awhile.

DW Golden
Soar with Fairies in a new young adult novel: Purple Butterflies

Vasilly said...

What a great challenge! I'm in. Right now I'm reading Tigerheart by Peter David.

californiameaghan said...

http://californiameaghan.blogspot.com/2009/02/fantastical-challenge.html

i will be examining my tbr list to see which three fantasy books i want to read in feb and march. thanks for hosting!

Elena said...

Sounds perfect for me. I'm sure I have a few fantasies on my 'to read list'.

Off-hand I can think of a couple on the list:
His Majesty's Dragon
Children of Hurin

I know there are others.

http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.com/

Book Dragon said...

I've already read 12+ fantasy novels in February! I'd love to be added to this challenge.

I do have a widget in my sidebar with my review links but I'll go back and add "Fantasy Review" to my labels :)


I also have a "Mommy" book on my TBR shelf, sorry I missed the challenge.